It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

You're either not registered for the Welwyn Hatfield Forum or just not logged in.

Registration is free and removes this nag message as well as some of the ads.

Register at http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?action=register

Login at http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?action=login

Author Topic: Parking around QE II Hospital  (Read 9238 times)

Jefferiss

Parking around QE II Hospital
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:19:26 PM »
Daytime parking in the roads near to the QE II Hospital is becoming a serious problem for residents in this area. Although there is ample free parking in the King George V Recreation ground this is rarely used. Maybe the signage for this facility is poor or people cannot be bothered to walk an extra 50 yards or so to the Hospital. Either way the quality of street parking is so bad that there are numerous contraventions of the highway code and often not enough access left for the emergency services. I would be interested to hear from anyone supporting a residents only parking scheme in this area.   

Peter Ball

Re: Parking around QE II Hospital
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:10:50 PM »
I think people don't use the G 1V carpark because its isolated and you run the risk of having your car broken into. Parking on the road is safer.

Offline pjam

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:52 PM »
I have to agree with the previous comments regarding the parking around the QE11. I just can't understand why the highways department allows cars to park so close the the Junction of Beehive Lane and Howlands.I thought that you can't park within 15yds of a Junction. Has anyone tried to drive along Howlands past the parked cars at this road Junction. Simple solution double Yellow line these junctions. Durkins the construction company needs to get it's act together and install a wheel wash for the construction Traffic leaving their site.WHDC needs to enforce this rule and make sure that Durkin reinstate the damaged verges adjacent to the site entrance.

grumpy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:41:50 AM »
Parking won't be a problem in a few years time as there will be no hospital and nice new housing estate where it once stood.  Hospitals should think about providing a dedicatated bus that tours the stops a couple of times a day picking up fare paying patients and visitors and only allowing disembarkation at the Hospital reception (a bit like a do it yourself patient transport service).  Although I would suspect that most of the cars around the area are from Hospital Staff.

Offline philb

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:19:58 PM »
Although I would suspect that most of the cars around the area are from Hospital Staff.
well lets just hope that when they build that nice new hospital they might just plan to think that it might need staff and that they may need to drive in, other wise you end up with another QEII road problem, but just down the road in Hatfield.

Offline Warren Davies

• Thank You
  • Warren Davies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »
The problem around the QE2 is exacerbated by the fact that the hospital charges staff 60 to park!  Parking on the road in Beehive Lane is the cheaper option for staff and visitors...

...this does indeed have a knock on effect on the families living on Beehive.  One family lliving near the junction with Moorlands have had SEVEN cars written of because of the lack of car parking outside their own home and having to leave their car parked in a vulnerable position on a junction.  There are numerous families, mothers with young children, who are forced to park away long distances away from their homes.  The speeds at which some drivers drive down the congested roads are dangerous, especially to kids crossing over the the KGV fields...

BUT...its not just Beehive lane that suffers...Moorlands Road suffers from extra cars, as does the end of Howlands near the Hospital.  Furher, many roads such as Hillside were not built for families with two cars in mind and now people cannot even park in their own road...this is true of the roads off of Bushey Lea too, for example...in Daymead and around The Commons, especially near the school, people park on the curbs and verges because they have no choice...

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who faces this situation...

Warren

Offline Shaun

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Fatwah On Hatfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
I live in Mountway. I start work early in the morning and return home around lunchtime. It is damn near impossible to park on my return due to people dodging the Hospital carpark.
What gives even more concern is the fact that some of them double park only leaving enough room for another car to squeeze through.
A fire appliance/ambulance stands no chance as does any delivery vehicle. It is getting beyond a joke. I would be more than happy to see a CPZ scheme introduced

Offline Shaun

• Thank You
  • Fatwah On Hatfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 07:16:57 PM »
Parking around the QEII today (Bank Holiday Monday) is virtualy non existant, which in my opinion is due to the 9-5 pen pushers at the hospital not working.
There are a few parking bays set off of Mountway (Around to the left as you come up from the Hospital end). I noticed the other day that a local resident fed up with finding a hospital worker parked in them has been leaving sarcastic notes on the windscreen of offending vehicles. I dont know who it is as i live further along the road but a sure do sympathise with them.
Not many people in Mountway own or drive BMW's, Mercs or Audi's but there sure are loads of them parked here up until 5pm! I assume the doctors are now dodging paying for the car park.
Like i added earlier, i would dearly love to se a CPZ in and around the QEII. A few years ago parking in around the L&D made residents life a misery but know they have residents only parking and things are much better there.

Offline Linda

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »
Parking won't be a problem in a few years time as there will be no hospital and nice new housing estate where it once stood.  Hospitals should think about providing a dedicatated bus that tours the stops a couple of times a day picking up fare paying patients and visitors and only allowing disembarkation at the Hospital reception (a bit like a do it yourself patient transport service).  Although I would suspect that most of the cars around the area are from Hospital Staff.

Is this true about knocking down the  hospital and building housing? I have heard several different stories about what will happen to the QE2 site when the new hospital is built in Hatfield. Does anyone have more info about the sites future? Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a park and ride scheme for staff, patients and visitors to relieve the pressure on the current space? Any thoughts?

Linda

Offline Shaun

• Thank You
  • Fatwah On Hatfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »

Is this true about knocking down the  hospital and building housing? I have heard several different stories about what will happen to the QE2 site when the new hospital is built in Hatfield. Does anyone have more info about the sites future? Wouldn't it be a good idea to  have a park and ride scheme for staff, patients and visitors to relieve the pressure on the current space? Any thoughts?

Linda

The QEII is amply served by buses from across Hertfordshire. There is no excuse when travelling from St Albans, Hemel, Watford, Stevenage, Hertford, Hatfield & Luton to name a few. There is no excuse not to use a bus to and from the QEII.
But what deters people from using them is the Extortionate bus fares, mainly due to the Conservatives privatising the National Bus Co. (Sorry Grant) this means there is no cross subsidy to keep fares down as private operators want to screw as much as they can from the public on order to please their shareholders. (I used to be a bus driver for 13 years!) Also the convenience of having a car is a factor, why wait for a bus when you can drive?
The only way you will encourage people to use buses to get to the QEII is simple. Make the streets around the hospital no go areas by stopping the ease with which people can park in the residential areas by introducing residents only parking with effective enforcement and use any monies generated in parking enforcement, ie fines to offset bus travel to and from the QEII by reducing the fares.

grumpy

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »
The only problem with a residents scheme is that councils then charge residents for the privilage of parking where they live and any problem in the area that it solves is only shifted to the outlying areas not covered by the scheme.

Offline Shaun

• Thank You
  • Fatwah On Hatfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
If I have to pay a few quid a year to ensure i can park where i live i dont mind.
As for pushing the problem of parking further away? I Cant see it. The lazy so and so's drive for the convienience. If they had to walk 10 or 15 mins after parking, most would not bother.

grumpy

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »
The question is though how much would you be prepared to pay in extra revenue to the council - bearing in mind that its not just painting a few lines in the road and putting up parking notices, they would have to pay for enforcement (which I agree would make the scheme to some extent self funding in time) .

So how much is a parking space (not guarenteed, but maybe the oppertunity to park your car outside your house) worth to you. 50.00 per year, 100.00, 150.00 ???

Offline Shaun

• Thank You
  • Fatwah On Hatfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 01:15:13 PM »
The question is though how much would you be prepared to pay in extra revenue to the council - bearing in mind that its not just painting a few lines in the road and putting up parking notices, they would have to pay for enforcement (which I agree would make the scheme to some extent self funding in time) .

So how much is a parking space (not guarenteed, but maybe the oppertunity to park your car outside your house) worth to you. 50.00 per year, 100.00, 150.00 ???

If it is enforced strictly the income generated would, if the council is not greedy present permit parking for residents at a reasonable cost.

grumpy

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
And there is the flaw in such a scheme-Council Greed >:(

Moderated by Grant Shapps and many others in the Welwyn Hatfield Forum Community.
Maynard House, The Common, Hatfield, AL10 0NF.